Toothache can adversely affect a person’s life. These pains can have many causes. When the patient starts to feel pain in the teeth, The patient should be examined by a dentist. Toothache that is not taken precautionary can cause bigger problems.
The methods that the dentist decides to apply after finding the cause of the pain may vary. For hot and cold sensitivity in teeth, toothpastes that will eliminate sensitivity may be recommended. If the patient has gingival recession, dentin sensitivity treatment is applied by the dentist. In addition to these, there are methods that can be applied at home to reduce the sensitivity of the teeth. Doing a mouthwash several times a day with lukewarm water and brushing the teeth with a soft toothbrush will help the person relax.
As a result of the food residues squeezing between the teeth, the pressure on the gum increases and a pain called septal pain may occur. The main reason for this is that food residues between the teeth are not cleaned properly after eating. For this reason, it is very important to use dental floss and an interface brush after eating.
What are the Causes of Toothache?
There are many reasons that cause toothache. Tooth pain is usually caused by tooth decay. If the treatment of dental caries is delayed, an abscess and severe pain may occur in the patient’s tooth. In addition, another cause of pain is caused by the erosion of the tooth enamel. With the erosion of the tooth enamel, there is sensitivity in the teeth first and this then turns into pain.
Other reasons that cause pain can be listed as follows;
- Decayed Teeth: Food often bother the patient by accumulating in the area of caries that has been damaged by tooth decay and has lost its normal tissue. If the patient feels unbearable pain in the tooth, the bacteria have reached the tooth pulp. In other words, food residues and bacteria interact with the tooth’s nerve too much. Also, if you feel pain in your teeth while eating sweet foods, it means you have a decay in one of your teeth.
- Dentin Sensitivity: If the patient feels severe pain when consuming only cold or hot foods, it is likely that the teeth are sensitive to hot-cold. In addition, as a result of gum recession, it is possible to feel cold-hot sensitivity in the teeth with the emergence of tooth surfaces.
- Impacted teeth: Wisdom teeth, the third molars at the end of the jaw, are teeth that cannot be cleaned very well. Because it is not cleaned well, caries may occur and these caries can also cause pain. Buried wisdom teeth, which cannot easily come out in the oral environment, may also damage the second molars in front of them. In such a case, the patient may feel pain in the back of the chin, in the ear. If the patient feels severe pain in these areas, the tooth should be pulled out immediately. If the painful tooth is not removed, it may damage the front tooth and even cause cyst formation.
- Gum-related pains: Teeth may not always cause toothache. Sometimes gums can also cause toothache. Many symptoms can occur with inflammation of the gums. One of these is pain. Pain is usually seen with abscess formation. With inflammation in the gums, the pressure increases and pain is felt. Therefore, when the inflammation disappears, the pain goes away.
- Reflected toothache: The pain of a tooth can be caused by teeth other than itself. For example, if pain is felt in the last tooth in the lower jaw, the tooth that is the source of pain may be different. However, pain caused by a tooth to the left of the jaw is not felt on the right side of the jaw. In other words, the reflected toothache does not exceed the middle line of the jaw.
What Is Good For Pain In Teeth Caused By Caries?
Patients with toothache mostly say “What causes toothache?” They look for an answer to the question. However, the important thing is to find permanent treatment methods, not temporary. If the cause of the pain in your tooth is decay, the decay must be treated. Pain medication can be used to relieve the pain, but if the tooth is not treated, these pains start again when you stop taking the medication. For this reason, decayed teeth must be treated.